Pages

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Being Thankful


Hi all,

I'm back with the first of three posts.  We are quickly closing in on the Thanksgiving holiday here in the States.  For me, it's a time to get to spend time with my family.  There never seems enough time to spend with them these days.  I started with a card celebrating how thankful I am for my family and it morphed into two other projects.  So here is the piece that started it all.



I seem to being doing several collage pieces these days.  I need to replenish my Distress Collage Medium!  I began with a kraft card. I created my collage on a piece of black cardstock.  The papers are from various Tim Holtz's Ideaology paper stashes and some other pieces of scrap paper in the same vintage "brown" color scheme.  The star of the show is a paper from Tim's Seasonal stash that has all sorts of Thanksgiving recipes on it.  Our family get-togethers revolve around really good food.  So I thought this was extremely appropriate for this card.  Again, Matte Distress Collage Medium was used to adhere the paper and apply a top coat (to prime the paper for use of a Black Soot Distress Crayon around the seams)


Sorry for the sad photo of this card. It was a bit "front heavy" by the time I finished it and it got a bit of a bend to it when a I stood it vertically for a quick pic.  I should have photographed it flat ... hindsight is 20/20.  Here is why it was so "front heavy".  I decided to play with Tim's Distress Woodgrain cardstock.  I die cut it and and a piece of chipboard using Tim's Pumpkin Jack die.  I cut the woodgrain diecut into strips (like slats of wood).   These strips were colored with Rusty Hinge, Carved Pumpkin, Spiced Marmalade, Walnut Stain and Ground Espresso Distress Crayons (using a waterbrush to spread the layers of color).  Then I distressed the edges of the strips of woodgrain paper with sandpaper.  I adhered the strips of paper to the my chipboard pumpikin die cut and distressed the edges of the entire  pumpkin with sandpaper.  Now, I grabbed my Ground Espresso Distress Marker and went over the sanded edges.  Love the distressed wood look!!  I added a few Ideaology Tiny Attachers in spots to look like the  wood slats had been nailed or screwed to a backing board.  Brown Alcohol ink was used to make it look like the screws had rusted.  The stem of the pumpkin was given a similar treatment. 


The pumpkin was adhered to the collaged background with Ranger Matte Multi Medium.  Some foam squares, gave the stem some support.  I embellished the pumpkin with a Little Yellow Bicycle wood leaf (stained with Peeled Paint Distress Stain, d1istressed with sandpaper and edged with Walnut Stain Distress Marker ) and some brown wire that wound around a pencil and swiped with Peeled Paint Distress Paint.


A simple  "thankful" chitchat sticker, backed on a small black cardstock rectangle, was mounted on the pumpkin with foam squares.  And I called it a day!


This week I'm playing along with 

Let's Craft and Create Challenge #131 - ANYTHING GOES + option FALL COLOURS/THANKFUL
Simon Says Stamp Thanks/Thanksgiving Challenge
Frilly and Funkie's Timeworn Challenge
Words 2 Craft By Abundance Challenge 

Well, I will be back soon with some home decor pieces that were inspired by this card.  Have a great weekend!  Mary Elizabeth

 



16 comments:

BobbisTreasure said...

Love your take on the challenges, and your pumpkin is fabulous!! Thanks for playing along with us at Words 2 Craft By!!

Words and Pictures said...

I love your brilliant wood-slat pumpkin - the woodgrain paper has come up a treat in your hands! Great collaging too - there's a warmth to this which is about more than just the warm colour palette. Lovely!
Alison x

Redanne said...

The pumpkin looks sensational cut from the woodgrain card, I love how you cut it into strips and the little brads are such a great touch! The pumpkin pie recipe in the background is perfect and the twirly wire pieces are just the perfect finishing touch. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! Hugs, Anne xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Your wood pumpkin is beyond fabulous! I LOVE this!

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a creative project! Love the beautiful colors and texture on the pumpkin. Great design! :)

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

This is a stunner! I absolutely adore the way you've achieved the wood look! And the colors are perfect-- they are iconic and traditional yet the card is original and refreshing. I love your aesthetic and it is always a treat to see your work! Thanks for sharing your work with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Barbara said...

So beautiful Mary! Perfect for this season! love the wood effect on the pumpkin! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! Barbara

Sybrina K said...

Hi, Mary Elizabeth! Oh my, is this gorgeous! Your card is top/front heavy for all the right reasons because that pumpkin is a true work of art. So glad you had a chance to play along with us at Words 2 Craft By and am looking forward to your December project. In the meantime, have a blessed Thanksgiving. :)

Loose Stitches said...

Fabulously gorgeous creation, wow, it looks like a wooden pumpkin! Thank you for sharing with us over at Let's Craft & Create challenge. We hope to see you again.
Sherry x - DT for Let's Craft & Create
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads – My personal Blog

sarascloset said...

Mary Elizabeth, I love your woodgrain pumpkin--it looks so realistic like those you see in an old country store, hand crafted by someone's grandfather. (A good thing, and just the look you were going for, I'm sure!) You have given the "wood" the perfect timeworn look, as if it's been sitting out in the weather season after autumn season. Your collaged background is a wonderful way to frame it. Really love this! I hope you enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! Hugs!

PS Thank you for sharing your artwork with us at Frilly and Funkie! It's so good to see you playing along again!

Dortesjs said...

Absolutely amazing work ;O)

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful pumpkin and such a lovely card! The pretty woodgrain on the pumpkin adds such a lovely warm feel to the card and the pumpkin pie recipe is perfect! Thanks for playing along in the Frilly and Funky Timeworn challenge!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Such a skillful use of color and a gorgeous use of texture in this wonderful collage card. I love your bright, bold pumpkin! Thanks so much for sharing with us in the Frilly and Funkie Timeworn Challenge!

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

Cute thank you card! Love the pumpkin! Thanks for joining us at Let's Craft and Create
Tina dt

sarascloset said...

Oh, durn! I lost my comment! I came by to say I was so pleased to see this was chosen as a Top Pick at Frilly and Funkie! Congratulations and big hugs! I hope you are enjoying this Christmas season and finding much to be joyous about!

Ammaris Art said...

Beautiful work, I love it. Thank you for joining us at Let's Craft and Create!
Catherine DT